Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Bump and The Fall


On Wednesday mornings I go to my bible study at church. The Bear goes to her "class" in the nursery. Her teachers are Ms Betsy and Ms Claire but if you ask The Bear they are both named BetsyClaire. Much like if you show her a picture of Winnie the Pooh she says "Look there's TiggerPooh". Ms Betsy and Ms Claire go together like Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too so in her little mind there is no need to use separate names.

Because bible study runs until noon, I let Curly stay for lunch bunch at her preschool on Wednesdays. As I was leaving church this past Wednesday, I checked a voicemail message I received during bible study when my phone was on silent. Yikes! It was Curly's preschool calling to inform me that she had had an accident on the playground that morning. The message her teacher left assured me that Curly seemed fine (no bleeding no broken bones) and that she really really wanted to still stay for lunch bunch. Well naturally I immediately feel like the Worst Mom Ever for putting my phone on silent instead of on vibrate where I would have felt it ring and could look and see it was my child's preschool calling. I called them back immediately and talked to one of her teacher's, Ms Carol. She told me that Curly had been climbing the stairs to the slide, bumped her head at the top of the stairs , and the fell back down. Ms Carol said she saw her bump her head and lose her balance and she ran as fast as she could over to catch Curly but didn't make it in time. She said Curly wasn't bleeding but had what looked like a long rug burn down her back. They put ice on it. Ms Carol also said Curly was no longer crying and still really really wanted to stay for lunch bunch. So I let her stay. The mother in me wanted to go to the school ASAP and get my baby, but knowing my Curly, she would get upset if I didn't let her stay and socialize with friends during lunch. The next day when I took Curly to school, the ladies helping in the carpool line asked about her back. I told them it was all better. They said "Even through her tears yesterday, she kept saying she still wanted to stay for lunch bunch. That was her biggest concern through all the tears.".

This morning Curly asked me to take a picture of her back so she could see what it looked like. She also wanted to make sure all of her grandparents got to see her injury and hear about her fall. I thought I'd let her tell the story in her own words:

"Well, I was out on the playground riding the roller coaster (mommy is not sure what this roller coaster thingy is). Then I was climbing up the stairs and not looking where I was going and I bumped my head on a piece of brick. And then I well, I fell down steps onto some sticks and then Ms Carol tried to catch me but um. Then Ms Angie gave me a cold star and I put it on my back. Then they asked me if I wanted to go home with my mommy and I told them I wanted to stay for lunch bunch because I liked staying and I wanted to. When I got back from crying, someone pushed Hailey down but she didn't cry like me and then we had to go inside because too many kids were falling. That is all. "




No comments:

Post a Comment