Friday, October 14, 2011

Back to the Farm


This past weekend, we were invited to the Dorman Family Farm once again for their annual Square Dance. Unfortunately it fell on a weekend Pat was in school again so he couldn't go with us. (Have I mentioned before how I am WAY past ready for school to be over ;0)). The girls have been looking forward to going back to the farm ever since last year. The Dorman's are so sweet to have us over to play at the farm, eat yummy food and dance.

The Bear went with her Gran and Aunt Katie on Friday to the farm. Curly had a soccer game Saturday morning so she and I drove over after the game. The girls enjoyed fishing, 4 wheeling and feeding horses during the day. Thankfully we were able to get them both to take a nap prior to the evening festivities. Sadly as soon as we were all ready to enjoy the square dance, The Bear hurt her arm pretty bad. She was pretty upset and just to rule out any possibility her arm was actually broken, we high tailed it to the nearest ER in Warm Springs, Georgia. Gran accompanied us to the ER, thankfully, so I was not alone with The Bear. When we arrived, it was pretty empty. I felt relieved. I mistakenly thought "Great no one is here. This should be fast". I was wrong. There had been a motorcycle accident with two young men. One arrived by ambulance just before we arrived. The other was okay enough to be driven in by a friend. He arrived just after us. He had open bleeding wounds sitting in the waiting room right by us. Not very pleasant to look at. We got called fairly quickly to triage. However, when we walked into the triage room, there was blood all over the counter top and floor. I suppose from the first motorcycle accident victim ahead of us. GROSS! They apologized and cleaned up the blood (kinda), and then assessed The Bear. Then we were asked to go sit back in the waiting room and wait for x-ray to call us back. At this point the waiting room was filling up with many family members and friends of the two motorcyclists. Lots of people, little seating options, and an bleeding man still sitting right next to me. The joys of the ER. Finally we were x-rayed and called back to a room to wait on the doctor. He determined she just had a bad sprang in her elbow. Lectured me about how not to hold my kid when swinging her. After taking what seemed like forever to get our paperwork done, they finally discharged us. This was my first and I pray my last experience with an ER. We arrived back at the farm in time to enjoy a nice hayride on a beautiful night.

Monday morning I took The Bear to the same orthopedist who helped with her broken leg last winter. He put a cast on her to help keep the elbow immobile for two weeks. She was so excited to get a purple cast this time. She is so proud of it and loves to show it off to people. This arm cast is SO much easier to deal with than the leg cast last winter. I am very thankful for that. The girls are already asking when we get to go back to the farm. Guess I have two country girls at heart ;0).

4 Wheeling with Ben

Pure Sweetness!

Hangin' with Clint

A little pre injury dancing with their Aunts

Curly and Aunt Jenna

Aunt Lauren and The Bear

After returning from the ER, I wanted to get a quick picture of the girls together since I didn't get one earlier. The ER put The Bear in a sling that was WAY too big for her but she wore it until we got the cast on. The Bear still managed a sweet smile after crying for a few hours and being up way past her bedtime.

Sunday morning, The Bear really wanted to go out and feed the horses before we left. Ben was so sweet to walk her out to them. It started raining pretty good on them but The Bear still wanted to go. Ben picked her some flowers on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment